Friday, July 24, 2009

Introduction

THE LOW CARB LIFE: A DIET FOR DIABETICS
Introduction:
Several years ago, I was diagnosed with type II diabetes. I tried taking Glucophage, but had awful side effects. My stomach was a mess and I practically lived in the bathroom. It was horrible. I went to my doctor and she gave me two choices - totally change my diet or go to insulin shots. Of course, I chose the change in diet, but not happily. I have always been a junk food freak and you could tell it by my weight. When I first changed my diet I weighed about 300 pounds, but by changing my diet I have taken off close to 100 pounds and kept it off. My sugar level and blood pressure are both under control and I feel so much better. I still eat out and enjoy food, but I try to make better choices on foods. I had to come to terms with the fact that this was not just a diet to control my weight, but a permanent change in my eating habits. The first month I felt like I was about to starve because the low carb recipes available were just plain disgusting or not filling, so I created my own. I loved pizza, pasta and all the things that weren't allowed on the diet, and I craved them. I actually had a crying fit the first day of my diet because I wanted a hot fudge cake so bad! I learned to alter recipes so well that my husband didn't realize he was eating sugar free and low carb most of the time. Most of the recipes are either low carb or use foods that are low glycemic index foods that a diabetic can eat more easily. It was easy once you learned a few simple tricks.
Before you make any big changes to your diet consult your doctor! Do not stop taking any medication without your doctor’s permission! Do not do any large changes in your exercise program without your doctor’s permission!
Simple Changes With Big Results:
Drink diet drinks or water instead of sweet drinks.
Cut out white bread and eat 100% whole wheat instead. (Remember if it doesn't say 100% whole wheat -it isn't!)
Eat whole wheat noodles instead of regular noodles.
Avoid high glycemic index foods such as: sugar, white flour, white rice, potatoes, corn, carrots, pineapple, watermelon and dried fruits. They shoot your sugar straight up.
Use lots of spices to replace sugars and salt. (If you have blood pressure problems, try Salt Sense it doesn't have a funny taste to it and only gives you half the amount of sodium that you would normally use.)
I said to avoid dried fruits, but have your doctor check your potassium level. Research shows that most diabetics and people with high blood pressure tend to have low potassium. I eat one banana or small box of raisins each day to make sure my potassium is high enough. I found out about this when my mother had a heart attack due to low potassium. Since then, I have been very careful.
Walk at least 30 minutes a day. Even if you walk in 5 minute spurts very slowly, walk 30 minute a day. It helps to lower sugar level and keeps you healthier. Remember the more muscle mass that you have, the higher your metabolism.

No comments:

Post a Comment